Motorbike holidays in Kerala and Tamil Nadu
|For many centuries South India has attracted merchants from the Middle East, Arabia, China and Europe for its mesmerising spices and lush green nature. From bright green paddy fields, plantations of tea, cardamon and cumin, to endless streams of backwaters, numerous natural parks and wide mountains range - South India is endowed with exceptional flora and fauna. On this motorcycle tour, you will be riding a Royal Enfield across Kerala and Tamil Nadu to witness its awe-inspiring nature and wonderful temples along the way. If you are a nature admirer, or just looking for a truly unique and relaxing motorcycle holiday, the Spice Route tour will help you experience all this and much more!||
An extraordinary journey for a couple. Such tours have always been a mens' thing, but it was a wonderful discovery for my girlfriend and she loved it! - Xavier
- Sariska National Park, located in the region of Rajasthan in Jaipur 100k, is an integrated Project Tiger Reserve, whose purpose is the protection of tigers. It covers 800 square kilometers. An excursion organized at dusk you will probably have a chance to cross one of these fat cats … See you this fall for the journey on Earth Maharajas of [...]
- In the month of Feb 2012 I decided to participate in the Motorcycle Lengends Cup Race. Here I am propelling one of the largest gatherings of European classic bikes. The poster this year is very tempting with more than ten former world champions racing. And to top it off, i’ll be riding a bike that I love. A dream [...]
(Subject to change depending on circumstances)
Day 1 : Arrival at Kochi airportArrival at Kochi airport and transfer to Fort Kochi. Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 2 : Fort KochiIn the morning, we get our first glimpse of the Royal Enfield motorcycles. Visit of Kochi. You can explore the oldest Christian church in the country, the sinuous roads winding through mosques and 500-year-old Portuguese houses, Chinese fishing nets, a XVIth century synagogue and a Portuguese-made palace… Kochi is also the best place to enjoy a Khatakali show, a traditional form of dance theatre. Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 3 : Kochi – Munnar[140 Km – 5 H by road] We drive through sinuous, hilly roads, through tea plantations and throughout feasting our eyes on sensational views. Arrival at Munnar, trade center of the tea industry, that boasts of one of the tallest tea trees in the world. Munnar is surrounded by the highest mountain range in South India with an approximate altitude of 2600 m. Arrival at the hotel. Visit of Munnar and its plantations. Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 4 : Munnar – Indira Gandhi National Park[180 Km – 6 H by road] We take beautiful mountain roads winding through green tea fields while crossing the Evakikulam natural sanctuary. After crossing the valley we enter Tamil Nadu. We drive through small country roads in the Palani Range and eventually reach Topslip. Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 5 : Indira Gandhi National Park – Silent Valley[170 Km – 6 H by road] Silent Valley national park stretches as far as the east Nilgiri mountains, in one of the last totally preserved tropical virgin forests of the Saliyas range. The diverse fauna comprises of elephants, tigers, panthers, wild boars, monkeys and lion tail macaques. Hill tribes inhabit most of this region. Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 6 : Silent Valley – Wayanad[150 Km – 5 H by road] The Wayanad route is spectacular. We quickly leave the rich plain coast and its rivers, to make our way up the mountain on an impressively serpentine road. Overnight stay at the hotel. During the up-hill journey, the view of the plains just gets better: Down below are visible, verdant pepper, cinnamon, cumin and nutmeg plantations, and also, the endless eucalyptus forests. Created in 1973, The Wayanad park comprises of all the natural reserves in Kerela and is also known as "The Nilgiri biosphere Reserve". Several tribal communities live in the sanctuary and around. We will probably have the opportunity to see elephant herds, rare and dangerous bisons, and numerous macaques.
Day 7 : Wayanad – Ooty[100 Km – 5 H by road] The Nilgiri hills are the highest mountain range in Tamil Nadu (Mount Dodabetta is 2637 m high). This province, thanks to its tropical climate, is an important agricultural belt, where coffee, tea, spices, flowers and rare essence is produced. This is where one of the best teas of India comes from. Nestled in the heart of the mountains, Ooty, a charming village dominated by Nilgiri Mountains, is circled by thick eucalyptus and tea tree forests. Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 8 : Ooty – Kodaikanal[200 Km – 8 H by road] A gorgeous mountain road winds down the Nilgiri Hills. We cross the plains of Coimbatore where time seems to come to a stand-still on our thundering motorcycles. Villagers lead a placid and peaceful life. Eventually, after riding up the winding roads of the Palani Hills, we reach the small village of Kodaikanal. Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 9 : KodaikanalAt an altitude of 2000 meters, you can enjoy a relaxing day in the heart of this beautiful natural sanctuary. The ecological farm where you will stay, offers traditional Indian recipes, only made of organic products. The path that the elephants take to migrate passes through the coffee plantation. Magical! Enjoy this day, where the land and rivers are blessed by an incredible diversity of fauna and flora: 150 species of birds, does, leopards, bisons, and elephants.
Day 10 : Kodaikanal – Periyar[120 Km – 5 H by road] At this stage of the journey the roads are well maintained and we head down to the valley and then its uphill all the way to Periyar, a small border town located between Tamil Nadu and Kerela. Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary at an altitude between 900 and 1800 meters, in one of the most beautiful protected areas of South India where, among about ten animal species, live herds of wild elephants, and about 40 tigers. Overnight stay at the hotel (with swimming pool). The Western Ghats jungle, mostly impenetrable, is home to an extremely rich fauna: monkeys, elephants, buffalos, antelopes, sambas, tigers, bears, leopards, and thousands of species of birds.
Day 11 : Periyar – Kochi[160 Km – 6 H by road] We go down the Ghats on a charming mountain road passing through tea fields and a few colonial vestiges. Heading towards the coast, we go through backwaters and its heavenly landscapes which are a harmonious symbiosis of coconut trees, turquoise water, and colorful saris. Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 12 : Kochi – Aeroport ou extensionTransfer to the airport, or continue your journey towards the destination of your choice. End of trip.
Fixed Departure tour
Join other bikers keen on doing the same trip, with a maximum of 12 people per group and leave on a fixed date.
|From 24/11/2013 To 05/12/2013|
|From 29/12/2013 To 09/01/2014|
|From 09/02/2014 To 20/02/2014|
Pilote: $3670Passager: $3170
Trips A la carte
Choose from amongst our many trips one that appeals to you the most and leave with a group of your choice on dates that are convenient for you. The tariffs decrease as the number of participants increases.
More than 10
Price / Rider
pillion: $500 less
Plan a trip to your satisfaction with the advice of our specialists and choose the destination, dates and accommodation that suit you best.
- A Royal Enfield 500 (2009 model / availability) with full mechanical assistance and spare parts.
- Ground transfers as planned in the private vehicle program.
- An English-speaking tour leader and an expert mechanic of Royal Enfield motorbikes.
- Fuel expenses.
- Assistance by a local team: mechanic and support vehicle driver (for groups of more than 4).
- A support vehiclefor groups of at least 4. Lateral luggage racks for less than groups of 4.
- Lodging: in comfort and luxury hotels, in double bed rooms on a twin-sharing basis.
- If you wish to stay in a single room (extra charges apply), please inform your travel advisor when you register.
- Meals: Half board (breakfast and lunch, except on days of ground transfer).
Prices do not include:
- Compulsory insurances, such as repatriation assistance which covers you in case of a motorbike accident in India – legal assistance.
- Visa fees
- International Flights. Contact your travel advisor for cheaper help.
- Optional insurances for flight delays, lost luggage, journey interruption…
- A reimbursable security deposit of $500 for the motorbike. In case the bike is damaged, the amount required to fix the damages shall be deducted at the end of the journey.
- International Airport Taxes.
- Drinks and personal expenses.
- Entry fee for various monuments, temples etc.thereby giving you the option of not visiting them. Entry Fee ranges from $40 to $60 per person for the whole journey.
- Dinners (about $4 - $20 per person and per meal)